VA Education Benefits
RESPECT | HONOR | GRATITUDE
Clatsop Community College is proud to welcome you and has a wide variety of programs to meet your interests. CCC can help you prepare for transfer to a university, upgrade your job skills or prepare you for a new career. Programs at CCC are approved by the State Board of Higher Education State Approving Agency as qualified training for students eligible for VA educational benefits. Our VA Certifying School Officials follow the VA rules and regulations for submitting enrollment certifications to the VA Regional Office in Muskogee, Oklahoma, for benefit calculation and payment to student.
Eligibility determined solely by VA
Your eligibility for VA Educational Benefits is determined solely by the Veterans Affairs Office in Muskogee, Oklahoma, by applying online at www.gibill.va.gov. On the home page select APPLY FOR BENEFITS. READ AND FOLLOW ALL INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY.
Once you have SUBMITTED the application, be sure to keep a copy with the confirmation number on the bottom for your records. In a few weeks, you should receive a Certificate of Eligibility letter. You must submit your Certificate of Eligibility letter to this office in order for your classes to be certified for benefits and you will be required to have an initial meeting with the School Certifying Official and also complete a Rights & Responsibilities form.
Here are a few tips when applying:
- If you are not sure what chapter of benefits to apply for you should check UNSURE. The VA will mail a list of benefits you are eligible for. This is especially true for veterans looking at rolling to Chapter 33, but are not sure. You can always select which chapter to use at a later date.
- Give complete dates and other information. If you don't know the information-don't guess. The VA will confirm any and all information with the military and the DoD.
- Plan ahead. Applications take time to process. This time can vary from as little as 3 weeks to 12 weeks. It depends on the situation and chapter you apply for. For instance, if you list that you are UNSURE of which chapter on your application, you know it will take additional time.
- Feel free to follow up or ask questions. You can reach the National Education Call Center at 1-888-442-4551. (Press 1 then 0 to get through all menus quickly.) The folks in Oklahoma are very friendly and enjoy helping veterans - so let them help you. Remember, they are not miracle workers and can only guide you through the process and provide detailed information regarding your educational benefits. They also have to rely on information from the military and the DoD.
Note that CCC is not the Veterans Administration. Based on information provided by you and/or college records, CCC reports registration, changes and final grades to the VA for determination of payment eligibility. Determination of your educational benefits, issue and benefit questions should be directed to the VA at www.gibill.va.gov or by calling 1-888-442-4551.
- Steps to Starting VA Benefits at Clatsop Community College (.pdf, 92 KB)
- Change of Program or Place of Training (.pdf, 285 KB) Submit this form to school if you have received benefits elsewhere or are changing your CCC certificate or degree
- Admission at CCC
- Financial Aid
- Before Registering for Classes each Term (.pdf, 23 KB)
- Classes Than Do Not Meet the Entire Length of the Term (.pdf, 11 KB)
- Student Support Services on campus
- Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® (Chapter 33)
- Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® Transfer to Spouse or Dependent information
- Montgomery G.I. Bill®-Active Duty (Chapter 30)
- Reserve Educational Assistance program-REAP (Chapter 1607)
- Vocational Rehabilitation for Veterans with Service-Connected Disabilities (Chapter 31)
- Montgomery G.I. Bill® – Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR – Chapter 1606)
- Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA) – (Chapter 35)
- Education and Career Counseling (Chapter 36)
- CareerScope – free interest/aptitude assessment through VA website
- Tutorial Assistance
- BAH Calculator – (calculate on E5 pay grade rate w/dependents)
- 2019 20 Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy PDF(.pdf, 38 KB)
Note that students receiving VA benefits need to submit all official transcripts from previously attended institutions and military. Our institution will only certify one term of VA benefits without having receipt and evaluation of all transcripts. Students are cautioned to be sure they do not repeat a course previously completed while transcripts are pending or they may owe repayment. See VA Satisfactory Academic Progress/Rules & Regulations for more information.
Military Transcript Resources
Previous College Transcripts
Evaluation of transfer credits may take 3-4 weeks, so it is important to start the process early.
- Order official transcripts from all previous colleges.
- Get admitted to CCC.
- Once admitted, an evaluation of your previous credits will be completed.
- Provide course descriptions for any course that you took more than 10 years ago that you want considered toward your evaluation.
Financial Assistance Opportunities for Military Personnel and their Families
- Financial Aid - Military Student Aid
- Scholarships for Military Families: A listing of various scholarship opportunities (.pdf, 8.53KB).
- Post-9/11 GI Bill®: Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (ongoing) Public Law 111-32, the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship, amends the Post-9/11 GI Bill® (chapter 33) to include the children of service members who die in the line of duty after Sept. 10, 2001.
- Debt Management Center – St. Paul, MN – 1-800-827-0648
- Department of Veteran Affairs Education –1-888-442-4551/ www.gibill.va.gov
- Department of Veteran Affairs Home Page – 1-800-827-1000 / www.va.gov
- Oregon Department Veterans Affairs – www.oregon.gov/ODVA
- Survivor Benefits – http://www.vba.va.gov/survivors
- VA Direct Deposit / Address Change – 1-877-838-2778
- VA Voc Rehab – Portland Office – 503-412-4577
- Verification of Enrollment – 1-877-823-2378 – (CH 30, 1606 & 1607 must call the last calendar day of EACH month to verify enrollment)