Local Resources

After the trials and tribulations of the last few years , we recognize that Clatsop Community College students may need more support to attend than ever before. It’s hard to study when you don’t have a consistent place to live or know where your next meal is coming from. We want to make sure that you have all of your needs met in order to continue pursuing your education. Please review some of the following local resources if you are in need.

NEW! BANDIT FOOD PANTRY! The Bandit Food Pantry opened in the spring of 2021 in the Services building on the main campus. It is open every Wednesday and Friday from 11 am to 4 pm to students and members of the community, no questions asked.

The website compiles resources from all over the country for assistance with housing, food, bills and other needs. Another good local first stop would be Clatsop Community Action, The Harbor, and Clatsop Behavioral Health.

If you are in need of Counseling Services, please contact Anne Mabee at The Counseling Center at (503) 338-2409 or counseling@clatsopcc.edu.

Internet & Technology

Lifeline is a government benefit program that lowers the monthly cost of phone or internet service. It is supported by the federal Universal Service Fund.

Enrollment is available to individuals who qualify based on federal or state-specific eligibility criteria. You may qualify if you are on certain public assistance programs, like Medicaid or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). You can also qualify based on your household income. Click here to see if you qualify.

Other internet providers may also offer student discounts. Some of them are only available to those who also qualify for SNAP or other federal programs but others may only require student verification.



In addition to keeping an an updated list of food pantries and free food opportunities by location, Oregon Food Bank works on legislative initiatives and helps craft policy to end hunger. Want to get involved? They have volunteer opportunities and more on their website.

More college students than ever are struggling with hunger. SNAP is a resource that can help. Students ages 18-49 who attend higher education at least half-time may be eligible for SNAP by meeting income guidelines and additional criteria.

Requirements for Students
  • Income – Those who fall below Oregon’s income guidelines may be eligible for SNAP. See income levels here: https://oregonhunger.org/snap-for-students/
    • * Students attending class less than half time and those age 50+ do not need to meet additional student criteria, only income, to qualify for SNAP.
  • Intended job – Students need to let Oregon Department of Human Services (DHS) know what the student’s intended job will be after completing their education. DHS wants to understand the link between a student’s education and employment.
  • If students do not meet the requirements listed, there are more ways to qualify. Check out Partners for Hunger-Free Oregon for more factors affecting eligibility, or contact the local DHS SNAP office. 450 Marine Dr, Ste. 200 Astoria, OR 97103. Phone: (503) 325-2021
Applying for Snap

Step 1

Complete an application. There are four (4) options to complete a SNAP application:

Option 1: Online applications: https://apps.state.or.us/onlineApplication/

Option 2: Print and complete a SNAP application and turn it in at your DHS SNAP office. The SNAP office in Clatsop County is at 450 Marine Dr, Ste. 200 Astoria, OR 97103.

Option 3: Call a DHS SNAP office and have them mail you an application to complete and return. Phone for Clatsop County SNAP office: (503) 325-2021

Option 4: Visit a DHS SNAP office and pick up, fill out, and turn in a paper application.

Step 2

A SNAP eligibility worker will meet with you either in person or over the phone. Most offices are offering same day or next day service for interviews. You will need to provide:

      • Identification (such as a driver’s license)
      • Social Security numbers for everyone applying (original cards not required)
      • Proof of income for the last 30 days (such as check stubs)
      • For non-citizens, proof of the lawful immigrant status of household members seeking benefits

Step 3

Once you receive your SNAP EBT card, you will be provided with a brochure on how to use it to purchase food.


COVID-19 Relief Funds

The Oregon Worker Relief Fund was created to help immigrant Oregonians facing extreme economic hardships during the early days of the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic. As the effects of the pandemic are continuing to be felt and immigrants have been disproportionately affected, these funds are still available. A new round of applications was announced in early October, 2021.



Emergency housing and housing assistance for low-income and homeless individuals and families. For more information: Call 503-325-1400, stop by at 364 9th Street Astoria, OR 97103 or visit https://ccaservices.org/.

  • Intake Procedure: Walk in and complete intake forms. A housing case manager will schedule a meeting when funds are available.
  • Eligibility: Varies by program. Specific eligibility requirements will be shared by a case manager at their first appointment.
  • Documents Required: ID and proof of residency. Depending on the program, proof of income sustainability, eviction notice, and lease agreement may be required. Also need written agreement from landlord to not evict client for 30 days after payment.
  • CCA provides several forms of housing on a funds-available basis and by eligibility. Types of Programs:
    • Home Tenant Based Assistance (HTBA): Short term rental assistance for families
    • Housing Stabilization Program (HSP): One time emergency shelter assistance
    • State Housing Assistance Program (SHAP): emergency shelter assistance
    • Emergency Solutions Grant (ESG): One time housing assistance

The Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program is the primary housing assistance program offered by NOHA in Clatsop, Columbia, and Tillamook counties. HCV is the federal government’s major program for assisting very low-income families, the elderly, and the disabled to afford decent, safe, and sanitary housing in the private market.

Note: NOHA maintains a waiting list of applicants for the Housing Choice Voucher Program. The wait time for assistance on the HCV program is approximately 3 years at this time. This wait time is subject to change as funding becomes available.


Drug & Alcohol Recovery Services

Columbia Behavioral Health is the primary local provider of mental health service. They offer a wide variety of recovery resources including peer to peer counseling and referral to other programs.

Note: From their website:
If you or a loved one is ready to experience freedom from the dependence of substances, call Clatsop Behavioral Healthcare today at (503) 325-5722.