Credit by examination recognizes alternative routes to obtaining college-level knowledge and skills independent of the classroom. The intent of this method for awarding credit is to enable you to proceed through an established program in accordance with your present ability and knowledge. To ensure that you have achieved at the same level as any other student completing the course, the following conditions have been set forth for gaining credit through examination:
- You must be enrolled in a diploma or degree program before a credit by examination petition (challenge) can be initiated. Exceptions may be granted by the Vice President of Instruction.
- You must submit a formal application approved by the Administrative Assistant to the Vice President of Instruction, your advisor, and the instructor who will administer the examination.
- You may elect to challenge a course in which you are currently enrolled, provided the class is formally dropped prior to the beginning of the fourth week of classes. Courses in which you have previously enrolled and received a grade may not be challenged.
- You may not challenge more than 24 credits. Credits earned through examination cannot be counted for the degree completion requirement of "complete at least 24 credits at Clatsop Community College". A maximum of six credits, taken by examination, may be in cooperative work experience.
- The faculty of the College offering the instruction in the challenged course will be responsible for the formulation, administration, and compilation of the results of the equivalency test in accordance with other provisions of this policy. The examination may be either oral, written, performance, or a combination of these methods of evaluation. Under no circumstances will the requirement for credit by examination exceed the pre-established criteria for the course.
- Examination for course credit may be taken only once. If successful, you will receive the grade of pass and the letter "P" will be entered upon your transcript. If unsuccessful, you will receive a "N/C" on your transcript. Credits so earned will not be calculated in your grade point average.
- Courses involving laboratory or shop experience may be challenged in the same method as any other course; however, you must supply written references from qualified individuals indicating your sufficient background experience to cause a waiver of the laboratory or shop time.
- Credits earned by examination may not exceed the total credits previously earned at Clatsop Community College in regular course work. Should a challenge be approved during your initial quarter at Clatsop, credit for the challenged courses will not be applied until evidence of your successful completion of regular course work is entered into your transcript.
- You will be assessed a nonrefundable charge of 50 percent of the tuition for each course challenged. A year-long course series, which must ordinarily be taken in sequence, and which, at the discretion of the instructor, may be evaluated by a single comprehensive examination, may be handled as a single challenge for the standard fee. Upon successful completion of the course challenge examination, you must pay the remaining 50 percent tuition before the course(s) will be entered on your transcript.
All the conditions set forth above are applicable to each student requesting course credit through examination. Any waiver of these conditions must be at the approval of the President of the College and these conditions are subject to change. For information or assistance regarding Credit by Examination, call the office of Vice President of Instruction at 503-338-2440.