Clatsop Community College is offering the community a free academic class this summer term.
People may take an academic class, up to 5 credits, for free this summer term including fees and textbook costs. To take advantage of this free class offer those interested must register at CCC as either a degree seeking or a non-degree seeking student and take the class for academic credit. Auditing is not allowed for this opportunity.
CCC offering a free class is possible due to the college still having federal government HERFF funding, acquired for COVID relief and designated for assisting students with tuition and related expenses such as fees and textbooks. CCC offered a similar opportunity during the 2021 summer term, but only to juniors and seniors in high school who did not have the opportunity to do duel enrollment while in high school due to COVID restrictions. This year, the college wanted to open it up to a broader audience that is more reflective of the diverse population of the student body at the community college.
The Summer academic term is 8 weeks long from July 4th to August 25th. This shorter term (2 weeks shorter than Fall, Winter, Spring terms) covers the same amount of content as other terms. Students must be prepared for a faster paced content delivery in class which may also require additional study time as well. Class and grade received will go on an official CCC college transcript. Classes are transferrable.
Clatsop Community College will be hosting a registration event on Thursday, June 2nd in Patriot Hall from 3-6 p.m. for anyone who would like assistance in registering for classes or learning more about college resources. Both Summer and Fall registration is open and the event is open to all interested students.
Depending on if a person is interested in starting a degree or just want to take a class for personal interest will determine the steps they need to go through to sign up for their free summer class:
- New Students who are Degree Seeking-
- Apply for admission to CCC if you have not done so yet. The Admissions Office in Columbia Hall 116 can assist you with the application for admission and help secure financial aid for the 2022-23 year.
- Once you are admitted, you can register for your free summer class and meet with your advisor to lay out your plan of study.
- Community Members- Non-Degree (taking class for personal interest)-
- If you already have an account with the college, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the class you want to attend, or come to the First Stop Office located in Columbia Hall 109 and register in person.
- If you have never taken a class at the college, email email@example.com for directions on how to create an account or stop by the First Stop Office located in Columbia Hall 109 for help.
- Current Students-
- Log in to your MyCCC account to register online for your free summer class.
- If you are taking more than one class, this offer will be applied to the class that gives you the most tuition and fees for free.
- Connect with your Advisor if you are unsure what class can be used towards your degree or certificate.
- Once you are registered, stop by the bookstore to secure your free textbook for class. Textbook cost is covered only if textbook is acquired through the CCC Bookstore.
To view all the summer class options, go online at www.clatsopcc.edu/academic-planning/class-schedule/
For help selecting or registering for a class, contact Student Services in Columbia Hall 116.