ACCUPLACER Placement Test
The ACCUPLACER test fulfills Clatsop Community College’s placement assessment requirement for admission to a certificate or degree program and helps identify your preparedness in writing, reading, and math. ACCUPLACER results are used for academic placement purposes, rather than to deny admission to the college. Students are strongly encouraged to access online sample questions / practice tests before taking the ACCUPLACER. There is also a free ACCUPLACER Study App available from College Board .
The placement assessment consists of three basic skill areas:
- Writing (punctuation, grammar, sentence structure, strategy, organization, and style);
- Reading (ability to read and understand short and extended passages);
- Mathematics (ability to understand and work with whole numbers, decimals, fractions and basic word problems involving arithmetic; an additional algebra assessment may also be provided to determine your appropriate class placement).
*Note: Some non-degree-seeking students may be required to take one or more ACCUPLACER subject tests to fulfill specific class pre-requisites. Please see our college catalog for details on specific class requirements.
If you have previously completed college-level math and writing courses, you may request a ACCUPLACER waiver with proof of course completion with a passing grade (C or above). Submit an official or unofficial transcript to our Admissions Office for waiver consideration, after completing your application for admission. ACCUPLACER or COMPASS placement test scores must be no more than two years old to fulfill the placement assessment requirement for degree-seeking applicants. Other measures may be considered for waiving the ACCUPLACER (ex. recent GED test scores). You may contact the Admissions Office if you need more information on waiving or fulfilling the placement assessment required for degree-seeking student admission.
- If you are applying for CCC Admission: Applicants are prompted to register for the ACCUPLACER test upon completion of the application for admission. If you have already applied, you can register for the ACCUPLACER through your MyCCC account.
If you wish to enroll for this term...
You must complete ACCUPLACER by this date (though sooner is better).
- If you are taking the test to transfer to another institution: Create a MyCCC account by selecting "Non-Degree Seeking Student," then select "Sign Up/Cancel ACCUPLACER" after completing the online registration form.
- Retaking the ACCUPLACER: If unsatisfied with ACCUPLACER results, students who have a MyCCC account can register for the ACCUPLACER at any time by logging in and selecting "Sign Up/Cancel ACCUPLACER." 14 days must pass in between attempts for placement purposes at the college.
The ACCUPLACER is an un-timed test. Students seeking further accommodations should contact Disabilities Services via email well in advance of the testing date.
- Know / bring your Social Security Number, if applicable. This is not a requirement for taking ACCUPLACER, but it helps link scores with the correct student record.
- Testers generally require 1 to 2 hours to complete the full, three-subject test.
- You must pay the $15 fee for the ACCUPLACER ($10 for single subject test) through your MyCCC account or at the Welcome Center before you take the ACCUPLACER test.
- NO cell phone use or food is permitted in the testing room.
- You are not permitted to bring an outside calculator. Each test taker will be provided with a computer-based calculator in the appropriate sections of the ACCUPLACER math test(s).
- You may contact the Testing Center Proctor via email at least one hour prior to your scheduled ACCUPLACER test, and/or go online to your MyCCC account at least one hour prior to your scheduled ACCUPLACER test and complete the cancelation instructions.
- If you schedule an ACCUPLACER test and miss your appointment, you must pay for the missed session.
- If you reschedule, you must pay for both the missed session and the new session before you will be allowed to test.
- The ACCUPLACER fee will be reimbursed only if the Testing Center has an emergency closure or if you cancel at least one hour prior to your test session start time.