Jon Graves, Director
Office phone (503) 325-2898
Office hours are Monday-Friday: 8:00 am-5:00 pm
Seaside High School:
Tuesday: 8:00 am-3:30 pm
Wednesday: 8:00 am-4:30 pm
Friday: 8:00 am-noon
Warrenton High School:
Monday: 8:00 am-3:30 pm
Thursday: 7:00 am-3:00 pm
Friday: 12:30 am-4:00 pm
Upward Bound (UB) at CCC serves 73 students from 9th – 12th grade in cooperation with the Astoria, Warrenton and Seaside school districts. Our mission is to help students gain the knowledge and skills to succeed in high school, go on to college and graduate college. We recognize that parent, school and community involvement are crucial to the success of the program and the students. Clatsop Community College’s Upward Bound program is 100% funded by a US Department of Education grant in the amount of $366,408.
Upward Bound Summer Academy
June 17 -July 25, 2019
More information coming soon.
- Maximize their academic skills, succeed in high school classes and be prepared for college.
- Learn how to navigate the educational system -- all the requirements, deadlines and processes.
- Get in-depth information about career choices and educational options.
- Set individual educational and career goals and plans.
- Take and succeed in core classes that build a foundation for postsecondary education.
- Graduate from high school.
- Enroll in a postsecondary program and continue to graduation.
Upward Bound helps students create a vision for their future success by offering:
- Academic support in the form of tutoring, supplemental workshops and educational planning;
- The opportunity to learn about a wide variety of career and educational opportunities by visiting work sites and colleges;
- The opportunity to develop self-management and leadership skills;
- The chance to attend cultural activities;
- Assistance with college admissions, financial aid and scholarship applications, and standardized test preparation;
- Help with planning appropriate classes in high school in order to ease the transition into post-secondary education.
Students must commit to all aspects of Upward Bound in order to remain in the program. These include:
- Individual and Group Meetings: These meetings are for academic advising, educational planning, and other support activities and may be arranged by the program coordinator, by appointment, or by announcement.
- Supplemental Instruction: Students may be required to attend tutoring sessions or Saturday workshops to strengthen their academic skills.
- Upward Bound Summer Academy: All students are expected to participate in a summer program. Freshman, sophomore and junior students must attend the Upward Bound Summer Academy. This six-week program is an excellent opportunity for students to experience life on a college campus. The program offers hands-on learning; the opportunity to work with other students and community organizations; and academic support to prepare for the coming school year.
- Summer Bridge Program: Seniors are strongly encouraged to participate in the Summer Bridge program. This program pays for recent graduates to take summer classes at Clatsop Community College. This is a great way to get ahead before the freshman year of college.
Parent involvement increases students’ success. We help parents take an active role in their student’s success by:
- Being available to answer questions about high school achievement and college preparation;
- Providing parent informational workshops at key times in your student’s high school career;
- Assisting with federal applications for financial aid and other important forms and applications.
Students enrolled in the 9th-12th grades at Astoria, Seaside and Warrenton High Schools who meet the following criteria:
- Have academic potential, but show demonstrated academic need;
- Plan to attend college;
- Meet federal income requirements for limited income families; or are first generation in their family to go to college (neither parent has a 4-year college degree);
- Will commit to participating in all aspects of the UB program.
Upward Bound Tutoring Opportunities
Need help with math? Could you use a time and place to focus on homework? Talent Search and Upward Bound have a Tutor Coordinator at each high school every week.
School-Sponsored Tutoring Opportunities
Most schools provide tutoring and homework labs. These sessions are generally open to anyone who attends the school, including Talent Search and Upward Bound students.
Check with your school's principal or counseling office to find out if tutoring is offered. These are some of the currently scheduled sessions:
|School||Times & Locations|
Warrenton High School
Mondays, 12-4 p.m. in the Library
Knappa High School
Tuesdays, 12-4 p.m. in the Library and Spanish Classroom
Seaside High School
Wednesdays, 12-4 p.m. in the Library
Astoria High School
Thursdays, 1-5 p.m. in the Library
Matt Bisek, Warrenton High School, Seaside High School
Troy Henri, Astoria High School
Jon Graves, Director
Laurel Fleet, Program Assistant
Katherine Johnson, PT Administrative Assistant