Before Registering for Classes each Term

Before registering for classes, you should meet with an adviser to be sure you are only taking classes that are required for the degree you are pursuing at Clatsop.  The VA will only allow benefits for required classes and will not pay to repeat a class that you have already successfully completed.  This includes any classes that transfer into your degree requirements from another institution once you have submitted all previous grade transcripts.  If a class meets a degree requirement (electives included), the VA considers that requirement met.

Full-Time Equivalency and Rate of Pursuit:

Chapters 30, 31, 35, 1606 and 1607

Full-time equivalency is defined as regularly enrolled in 12 or more credits hours, with courses running the full length of the term.  Housing stipends for students certified for less than full-time will be extended proportionately.  Veterans registering for classes that meet less than the full term will be certified and paid based on the actual days the class is in session. 

  • Full-time = 12 credits
  • 3/4 time = 9 to 11 credits
  • 1/2 time = 6 to 8 credits
  • Less than 1/2 time = 5 credits or less

Chapter 33

Rate of pursuit applies specifically to Chapter 33.  It differs from training time, which is used for all other chapters.  Schools certify actual credit.  VA calculates rate of pursuit by dividing the number of credit (or credit hour equivalents) being pursued by the number of credit considered to be full-time by the school.  The resulting percentage is the student's rate of pursuit.

Examples:  If full-time is 12 credits, then rate of pursuit for:

6 credits (or credit equivalents) is 50% (6 , 12 = 50%)

7 credits (or credit equivalents) is 58% (7, 12 = 58%)

The housing allowance is paid if the student's rate of pursuit is more than 50%.  Rate of pursuit determines whether a student receives or doesn't receive the housing allowance.  If pursuit is more than 50% the student receives the housing allowance.  If pursuit is 50% or less the student doesn't receive the housing allowance. 

To receive the full housing allowance, you must be enrolled for at least 12 credits at every point during the term.  If your enrollment is below 12 credits, your benefit will be prorated to match your enrollment level.

You must attend your classes through the end of the term.  Housing allowance is only paid for actual enrollment.  This means that if you stop attending class, your housing allowance will be reduced.  The VA will assess an overpayment for benefits paid after your enrollment status was reduced, and you will receive a bill.

Housing allowance is also payable to students enrolled solely in distance learning (other than those who are on active duty).  This BAH will be calculated at 1/2 the national average BAH for an E-5 with dependents.

Note that CCC is not the Veterans Administration.  Based on information provided by you and/or college records, CCC reports registration, changes and final grades to the VA for determination of payment eligibility.  Pay issue questions or other benefit questions should be directed to the VA at or 1-888-442-4551.


Last Updated: 
May 1, 2013, 4:19 pm
-A A +A
Edit My CCC Account