About Work Study

Federal Work Study (FWS) is a need based form of Federal financial aid. Before you can be hired in a work study job, you must complete the entire financial aid process and be awarded work study. FWS provides jobs for students with financial need allowing them to earn money to help pay educational expenses. Students are awarded based on availability of funding on a first-come, first-served basis. Look on your financial aid award letter for your Potential Federal Work Study award amount to see how much is available to you to earn each term.

What are the benefits of Federal Work Study?

  • One of the best things about working in a Federal Work Study job is that you and your supervisor can work out a schedule together each term that will fit around your classes.
  • You may be able to find a job that is related to your field of study (not a requirement) and receive college credit for the hours you work. Contact Lisa Nyberg at 503-338-2480 for further information on Work Experience.
  • You gain valuable work experience and a solid reference which you can use on a future resume.
  • Unlike earnings from other jobs, Federal Work Study is not counted in your adjusted gross income when calculating your eligibility for financial aid the next year. This makes you eligible for more need-based aid than if you work for a private employer.
  • Studies show students engaged in work study while attending college have a higher academic success rate.
  • You receive a monthly paycheck for the hours you have worked.
  • Work Study allows you to earn money for college, possibly reducing debt from student loans that will have to be paid back.

Work Study Wages

Students are paid monthly based on the number of hours worked each month. You may choose to work fewer hours than you have available, but the amount you earn each term cannot exceed your total award for the term as indicated on your award letter. In most cases FWS can be increased. If you use your initial award please come to the financial aid office to see if additional FWS is available.

How do I find a job?

Review the Jobs List to see what employment opportunities are available on and off campus. The list will be updated as jobs change or get added. All FWS opportunities are also listed out side the financial aid office in Columbia Hall. Locations, supervisor names and contact numbers are given along with job descriptions and hours available. Pick a job or jobs you might like to do and contact the supervisor to schedule a time for an interview. When the supervisor approves you to work, have the supervisor fill out the Payroll Authorization that is part of the FWS downloadable paperwork . Once signed, it is returned to the Welcome Center.



Last Updated: 
August 8, 2017, 2:04 pm
-A A +A
Edit My CCC Account