The Merchant Mariner Credential, or MMC, is issued by the US Coast Guard and contains a mariners professional qualifications as endorsements.
- OUPV, Master, and Mate are Officer endorsements.
- Able Seaman (AB) is a rating endorsement.
- Ordinary Seaman (OS) is an entry level rating endorsement.
Clatsop Community College Maritime Science Department located at the MERTS Campus offers the following USCG approved Licensing, Ratings, and STCW courses. We are approved to administer tests and issue a Certificate upon completion of the course and passing all exams for the courses indicated.
- Able Seaman (with testing)
- OUPV (with testing)
- 100 Ton Master (with testing)
- 200 Ton Master (with testing)
- 500/1600/Unlimited License Prep
- Celestial Navigation (with testing) approved for all requirements thru 2nd Mate Unlimited
- Tankship Dangerous Liquids (with testing)
- STCW Ratings Forming Part of a Navigational Watch (RFPNW with testing)
- STCW Basic Training Original and Refresher (with testing)
- STCW Basic and Advanced Firefighting Original and Refresher (with testing)
- STCW Proficiency in Survival Craft (with testing)
- STCW VPDSD (with testing)
- STCW Global Marine Distress Safety System (GMDSS with testing)
- STCW Bridge Resource Management (with testing)
- STCW Leadership and Managerial (with testing)
- Radar Observer Unlimited Original and Refresher (with testing)
- Automatic Radar Plotting Aids (ARPA with testing)
- USCG approved Training Ship Program for individuals who have little or no experience or sea service wishing to enter the Maritime Industry. The Program provides the necessary skills, training, and entry level endorsements that the industry is looking for.
These are the costs associated with receiving a USCG issued MMC
- The USCG application and issuance fees.
- The TWIC enrollment fee.
- The average cost of the physical exam and drug screening, and the cost of the required First Aid/CPR Training.
The steps provided below outline the Merchant Mariner Credential application process.
While it is not a requirement, it is highly recommended that you talk to one of our Licensing Specialists or submit your application to the USCG PRIOR to taking the course.
1. Document Your Sea Service Experience
With only a few exceptions all MMC applications require qualifying sea service experience. One of these exceptions is the OS rating.
2. Enroll in the Twic Program
The original issue of any MMC endorsement requires the applicant to enroll in the TWIC program. There are NO exceptions!
3. Physical Exam & Drug Screening
With only a few exceptions all MMC endorsement applications require a USCG physical exam and drug screening completed using the correct USCG form.
4. First Aid & CPR Training
The original issuance of an OUPV, Mate, or Master endorsement requires completion of First Aid/CPR Training course within one year of the application date.
- American Heart Association (AHA) certification is accepted with a US Coast Guard approval number.
This is NOT required for an AB or OS application.
5. USCG MMC Application Form (719B)
All USCG MMC applications require completion of form CG 719B.
The Merchant Mariner Oath is the last bulleted text contained in Section IV Mariner’s Consent and Certification; item 4 Consent. All applicants for the original issue of an MMC must have their signature notarized when signing item 5 Applicants Signature to document that they are accepting the oath.
Complete form CG 719C only if you answered yes to any Convictions and Drug Use questions in Section III.
6. Application Fees & Delivery to a USCG REC
The application fees must be paid online at the Pay.gov website. Include a copy of the receipt with your application to show that your fees have been paid.
All applications must be emailed to a USCG Regional Exam Center or REC. They may be emailed to Portland REC using the information below or use the link provided to locate an REC nearest to your location.
Where We are Located
Clatsop Community College MERTS Campus is located 1 mile east of Astoria, Oregon on Hwy 30.
The physical address is 6550 Liberty Lane Astoria, Oregon 97103
The Campus includes: Maritime Science and Maritime Licensing, Firefighting (Marine and Land Based), Welding and Fabrication, Automotive (All Areas), Computer Aided Drafting (CAD) and Historical Preservation